Monday, May 23, 2011

One Man's Trash...

is his wife's new toy!

As the wife of a techno-junkie, I find it a great perk to get the so-called "hand-me-downs"! My husband gets a fantastic new job, so he needs his tecnho-upgrade. This means his old computer goes to Yours Truly. Of course I joke that I get the used goods, but in all honesty, I am so thrilled to get a new(er) computer! My previous mac laptop was the saddest sight you ever saw. It would not run at all unless it was plugged in and even then, the power cord was bent and mutilated so badly that I had to jam it in and yank the cord tight underneath in order to keep it plugged into the side of the laptop. The wires underneath the plastic covering were showing through and I am sure it was not the safest as it would get burning hot after a few minutes and then the poor thing would begin to whir and whine pitifully until I was done abusing it. The little rainbow would spin for a minute and a half when you clicked on anything... How much of my time has been wasted just waiting to open my mailbox? It would be sad to know. Furthermore, only one side of the finger pad worked, so in order to click, I had to make sure that I was pressing down rather hard on the upper left corner only. The rest of it must have decided to take an early retirement. The "5" key was downright missing and I have a sneaking suspicion that one of my children pried it off and they could have possibly ingested it as well. I really hope not, but I haven't seen it since it was in it's proper place. Also, it's a good thing I know how to type without having to search for the letters on the keys because most of the keys on the upper left hand side were worn completely off. Not to mention, I believe I had a ghost or an apparition of sorts that had taken up residence within and was constantly trying to contact me, but the only thing it ever seemed to be able to get across to me when I was trying to work on something was, "ddddddddddddddddddddddddd"... Very unnerving, not to mention annoying and creepy. Ah, it was a good little laptop and served it's purpose well, but oh if I am not just tickled silly to be sitting here completely unplugged, typing on shiny lettered keys without my knees feeling like they are burning, nor am I interrupted every few lines with having to delete a string of d's that had decided to show up. It's amazing what happens when you realize what you have been missing out on!

It wasn't until recently that my husband realized what a sorry state of affairs that my computer had become and he questioned me as to why I let it get so bad before saying anything. Perhaps this is a fault of mine, when things start to break or go awry, I just patch it up and deal with it. I don't mention the small things really. If it caught fire directly in my lap or if the apparition started typing actual words to me other than the one usual letter, then I probably would have mentioned something sooner. After all, it's a luxury in a sense to even have one, right? Well, maybe not. I think it's pretty standard for all Americans to own at least one laptop or home PC...The point is, I am so excited that I am now babbling because as I am typing, the letters are showing up immediately on the screen and are not two sentences behind and taking their merry time popping up!

Since things are easier now, I may be able to post more often and get some proper writing done and work more efficiently. Ah technology, today I don't hate you so much...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for that good laugh!!!! I am the kind of person that holds on to something until it just wont work anymore! Never mind the newest or latest nope not till what I have finally dies and no ammount of pounding, shaking or knocking can get it going again! Your poor thing! I felt so sorry for you... I wanted to run right out and buy you a new power cord... hahahahaha... Thanks Again for the fun story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heheheh! Oh my! I can totally relate. I think my last computer had to be propped up by a pile of books because it couldn't stay open on its own, and I had to hold the power cord in place with tape just so it'd stay connected. Looking back on it, I'm convinced that my reluctance to get rid of the thing was mainly based on a sort of co-dependent affection. After all, we'd spent so much time together over the years....

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete